Thursday, February 17, 2011

Point of focus

I've got a phenomenal post brewing... but my writing is sort of lacking right now.  So I will continue to let it cook in hopes of my idea becoming reality soon.

In the meantime, I've discovered something in Standing Bow Pulling Pose.  After 6 years of practicing and a year and a half (huh??) of teaching under my belt, I've heard something new in the dialogue.  Thanks to one of my mentors, Linda, I have recognized that I was missing a key point of dialogue in my class.  "Concentrate one point on your left knee in the mirror."  I think I was saying something after "Bring your arm up..." like "Bring your knees together to start.  Lock your standing knee."  That was it.  So I had what I was saying wrong.  Easily fixable.  (Well, after a couple of weeks, I finally had it fixed.)  This may be the first time I have actually heard it though.  That is totally a lie.  I've heard it.  I just chose to focus on my face, I guess... or maybe the tip of my fingers in the mirror, depending on the day.

Guess what?  One day a few weeks ago, I decided, ok, ok... I'll concentrate one point on my knee.  I have not looked away yet!  The power of that point of focus helps me hold the posture so much longer, stronger and powerfully than I EVER would have expected.  As in, I can consistently hold Standing Bow Pulling Pose for 90 - 100% of the duration now.  What??  Such a simple thing! 

And now, I'm teaching it the right way, and getting other students to understand that point of focus, and their postures are improving, too.  Of course, like me though, many choose not to hear it or not to listen or not to try it.  And that's ok.  We all have our own time.  We all find what we need when we need it.  But hot-diggity!  Try it!! 

(Side note:  I am pregnant.  My hips are more open.  I am more flexible.  And the big baby belly just loves this posture.  It is easier for me than it has ever been.  I attribute this to my new point of focus AND being pregnant.  I'm curious to see what happens with this posture post-pregnancy.  But for now, I'm just reveling in it!)

7 comments:

  1. That is way cool. Thank you for blogging about this. I "hear" my teachers saying this, but maybe my eyes are going all over the room. I definitely don't bring much awareness to the gaze in this pose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how and if it affects your posture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's the only place i can look if I'm going to have any HOPE of balancing! And I still never balance for the whole time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this same realization too! Generally I let students do whatever they normally do 1st set. I give straight dialogue and stick to the plan. Second set, though, I make a big point about the focus on the locked knee and how you can stay in the posture forever if you only lock your knee. It's especially helpful for really really flexible people, because it makes them attempt the posture from a point of strength, rather then letting them overuse their flexibility. I speak from experience here... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this post for so many reasons. But, most delightful to me is your reminder of how fun standing bow pulling pose is while pregnant. I had the same experience...something about that lower center of gravity combined with loosened ligaments...it's simply effortless. You just sort of slide into it and hang there like a ripe fruit. Enjoy! Hope all is well with you and the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. olga said...
    Thank you for sharing this. My latest revelation on this pose is to get myself parallel to the floor as in Balancing Stick pose. I will remember both, tomorrow!

    I just posted this blog--
    What's In Your Heart? [Part 2] | Coach Olga
    on the http://chickswhoknow.com/ blogsite.

    Read this to learn how to stay centered, balanced & prepared to handle all of life's surprises. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete