Thursday, February 5, 2009

The List

After almost 3 years of talking about going to Bikram Yoga Teacher Training, it is finally happening for me. Yup… I’m about to leave my life for 9 weeks to pursue one of the big goals on “The List”. What is “The List”? Well, someone once told me that I should write down a list of my goals. Somehow, having your goals in writing makes them just a little more attainable. If you look at the list every so often, you are reminded of your goals, and you work toward achieving them. The list can be ever changing. Circumstances of life can change things. Your mindset can change things. And if your goals change, well, you write a new list.

So that’s The List. I’m leaving on April 26 for Palm Desert, California, to spend 9 weeks with 300 other like-minded people, living, breathing, eating and sleeping Bikram Yoga. (Well, maybe not sleeping!) While some people think I’m about to embark on a 2 month holiday, I’d like to clarify.

Monday - Friday
8:30am - 10:00am Bikram's Basic Yoga Class
10:00am - 12:15pm Lunch Break
12:15pm - 4:00pm Posture Clinic/Lectures
5:00pm - 6:30pm Bikram's Basic Yoga Class
6:30pm - 9:00pm Dinner break
9:00pm - ??? Posture Clinic/Lecture

Saturday
8:00am - 9:30am Bikram's Basic Yoga Class

Sunday
Day of Rest

The schedule is grueling. 11 classes a week, posture clinics and lectures, along with finding the time to fit some studying in, I’m sure sleep will be at a premium! Am I scared? Umm… yeah, dude. I’m nervous, anxious, excited, and curious all in one. I can’t believe that I am leaving a perfectly good job, an even more perfect husband, a lovely home, and my friends, to embark on what is sure to be the biggest challenge of my life. The closer it gets, the more real it feels. The more real it feels, the more excited I get. I’ve never done anything like this before. In my life, I’ve always had a hand to hold, and voices to guide me. I impersonate an air of independence, but deep down, I’m just that insecure little girl who wants to find her place in the world.

Do I think I’m going to find my place in the world here? No. But I do think I’ll come back a better student, a better person… a better me. And hey, maybe I’ll find a little place that I can call my own at the same time.

10 comments:

  1. hell yeah d! i am so happy for you. good luck in your travels, your endeavors, and may the warrioress in you push you through those late night sessions!!!
    to quote hermann hesse...
    "One must find the source within one's own Self, one must possess it"
    much love,
    lis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D, I am going to miss you so much but I am so happy for you… Any time you need to chat please call I am always there for you buddy… You changed my life when you got me into yoga Thank You…

    love,
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. All will go well Danielle! Just breath deep and keep moving...

    "By letting go it all gets done" ~Lao Tzu, Taoist Sage

    Namaste.
    ~ck

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so going to LOVE teacher training :)
    Teaching BY is the BEST. 9 weeks will go by much faster than you think. When I look back now it seems like a blur...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you and proud to call you my big sister :)

    Seriously, the words aren't even enough. All that excitement you feel that you can't describe, well I feel that same excitement FOR YOU :) When you get back with all your training, I'm sure you could whip even MY big butt into shape ;)

    I love you! - jot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle this is fucking awesome.

    So glad to hear you're doing this.

    I went to a Bikram class once in Raleigh that came with 10 days of free yoga (first class offer). So I went for 10 days straight. WoW. It was intense, and I felt great afterwards, but ultimately I'm a sweater. I do not need any help in that department. In Bikram I think I'm 'that guy'. Hell, in any class I'm probably 'that sweaty guy', so I prefer Ashtanga, Kundalini, Jivamukiti, whatever doesn't come with extra heat.

    But I'll be following along and cheering for ya. You'll thrive I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi danielle!

    I'm so excited for you- and don't you worry: you're gonna be great!

    I can't wait to meet up and talk more about this crazy journey...

    Till then, keep on sweatin girl!

    Your potential roomie,
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danielle,

    I found your blog on the BYTT Facebook group. I know you wrote this post back in February, but I'm just reading it now and I wanted to leave a quick comment. The last 6 sentences of this Feb 5th post completely summarize how I feel as well. I knew others would be leaving the same things I was and feeling similar feelings, but it made me feel good to actually read it on your blog. I look forward to meeting you!
    Jen Barrett-Benson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading through this blog has helped me get through the same depressive thoughts you've had with setting priorities. Thank you for taking the time to record your thoughts for us. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete