Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Prepare, prepare, prepare!

Once I put my application in, time seems to be traveling at warp speed. Is it really possible that the final decision to go to training was made the second week of January? At that point, I had about 15 weeks before my bags were packed. And now suddenly, it’s less that 11 weeks to go… and I feel like I have so much to accomplish! I’ve got a “Mini” goal list going for these next few weeks.

- Go to 6am yoga Tuesday – Friday (which will allow me to…
- Study the dialog one hour a night during the week
- Get a solid grasp on one posture per week up until the day I leave
- Take 11 Bikram classes in one week before I go (this is probably going to cut into the studying an hour a night goal!)
- Write for my blog twice a week.

These are my goals to help me get prepared for training. I can’t decide if they are realistic or not, but now that I have them written down, I’m going to start focusing and try to follow them. Starting yesterday, I’m on track! I went to yoga yesterday and this morning, and last night just finished up studying the 2nd part of Awkward Pose. All was going well, until I starting trying to remember the 1st part of it, and , quite frankly, my brain just about exploded. Right now I am having a hard time grasping the fact that I have to learn 26 postures, and be able to teach them fluidly. Being the crazy, perfectionist that I am, I have a totally unrealistic goal of wanting to have ALL the material down pat before I get to California. But being the realist that I also am, I have modified that goal to 11 postures. Any more than that will just be bonus points. (And I LOVE bonus points!)

I’m trying to get in the mindset of being student, and it is hard. I haven’t been in school for almost 9 years. I’ve been in this crazy career world, where I know what I am doing, have control, and have confidence. At some point before I go, I am going to have to let go of that mentality, and surrender to the fact that this is a whole new territory for me. I know how to DO the yoga…but learning how to teach it, and teach it well, is going to take patience, courage, and humility. I’ve got the virtues in me, I’ve just got to dig a little deeper to bring them to the forefront.

(PS.. I want to thank everyone for the amazing comments. It means so much to have the words of support and encouragement!)

2 comments:

  1. Hah - I was having dinner this weekend with a ton of Bikram teachers who were trying to convince me to go to training in April. I brought up the excuse of wanting to know the WHOLE dialogue before I get there and got shot down by like 10 people simultaneously. I nearly had to duck for cover! "Why do you need to know it now? That's what training is for!" My good friend Charlie, who is now a rocking teacher + studio owner, enrolled in his training three DAYS before it started and hadn't even SEEN the dialogue til he got there. Moral of the story: being prepared is totally awesome, but you're already ahead of the game, and you'll do fine no matter what! Another way to think of it: it's ALL bonus points!

    xoxo
    Juliana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re-reading your blog from a year ago... and my own comments... and dying laughing...

    Diane nearly threw a dinner roll at me that time I said I needed to know the WHOLE dialogue, but of course now she's convinced that I DO know the whole dialogue!

    ReplyDelete