Friday, November 27, 2009

Holiday 30-Day Challenge - Here I go again!

Thanksgiving Day class marked the start of what we are calling the “Holiday 30-Day Challenge”. Students can pick any 30 days in a row between Thanksgiving and New Years to complete their thirty days. It’s a tough time of year to dedicate yourself to this. I know how busy we all get with holiday parties with co-workers, family and friends, but I’ve committed myself to it, and am feeling confident that I will complete it. I was having some hesitation writing my name down for it, but took a deep breath, set my goal, and VIOLA! I’m there.

Since I have been back from training, it has been a struggle finding the time to practice. I have found that 4 to 5 days a week is pretty consistent for me. I’m looking forward to pushing myself to making the time for yoga practice. Christmas Day will mark the completion date, however, my goal is actually to complete it a day early so I can sleep in with my husband, spend time in our PJs in front of the tree, and relax. ☺ That means at least one double, probably more. I haven’t done a double since training, which is funny because I when I came back, I had some high aspirations that I’d double up a couple times a week.

I figure I should set a yoga goal or two for these 30 days. I realized in class yesterday that I need to work on my stamina in Standing Bow. I think that possibly two times in my life, I have held the first set of this posture for the entire duration of the pose. I know that I give up sometimes. But I also know that I fall out even more than give up because I am kicking and pushing so hard. So there. I am going to work on holding it. The whole time. YAY! The other posture I want to improve upon has been my nemesis since the very beginning, Bow Pose (on the floor). I dislike/hate relationship with this pose. I have NEVER liked it. I have NEVER been very good at it. And I can NEVER get my legs 6 inches apart!! Such a struggle for me. There is so much for me to work on: getting my wrists straight, getting my legs closer, getting my legs higher, figuring out the difference between toes pointed and toes pointed out. And I might as well work on not dreading this posture every time we get to it! It just the one pose where I mostly feel like it is horrible, and the rest of the time I think, ‘well, I guess that didn’t suck.”

Of course, I see the correlation of the two poses. And of course, I know that if I can get one to improve, the other will likely follow. Hmmm… maybe I should take some pics after class this weekend.

I am hoping to be able to write a little bit more during these 30 days. I have a lot of things going on in my head and my life, and I hope to find the time to write, because it is another wonderful outlet for me. I will do my best!! But for now, I have to change and guzzle some water so I can head to the 3:30 class – DAY 2 of my 30 days!!

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. YAY for yoga challenge! Ok, bunch of things I wanna say...

    First, does advanced class count in your challenge?? You have to come play on the 22nd... c'mon... just call in sick... it's just a few days before Christmas anyway... (Yep, I am shamelessly begging people to come while I'm there.)

    Second, you and me both in standing bow. I've held it for the whole first set, like, once. Ever. Which was like a year ago. Sigh!! But I feel like anything past the 30 second mark is totally respectable. (Don't always get THERE, either, but that happens much more often!) 60 seconds is a wicked long time if you're doing a serious standing bow. Better to go for it and fall than to hold it for the whole time cause you're half-assing it.

    Also, I have to comment on floor bow because I was JUST thinking about the standing bow/floor bow connection yesterday morning. I hated floor bow with a firey passion for years and now I kinda love it. The breakthrough came when I connected the KICK in floor bow to the KICK in standing bow and realized that they are exactly the same. I was doing this wonky sideways kick in floor bow that made my knees open up, but I would never do it like that in standing bow! As soon as I started telling myself, "Kick back and up just like standing bow," my alignment got sooooo much better, and as soon as the alignment got sorted out, I FINALLY started to kick higher and get into a decent backbend! Just a thought. Lemme know if it helps!!!

    GOOD LUCK!

    J :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Good Luck with your Challenge. I just finished Day 27 of mine tonight. I set a couple of goals in the beginning as well. 1) Standing Bow. Goal: to hold longer, kick back harder. Result: Getting better and stronger. Still not perfect, but I lots of time to work on it, right? 2)Standing head to knee. Still working on holding the kick out the entire time. My psotures have absolutely changes over the course of the Challenge. So happy I did it. Best of luck with yours! Look forwad to reading all about it during the next 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, of course I think advanced counts!! I'll be there that day. Sounds fantastic! I was already thinking that despite your shameless begging. :) I do know that my standing bow is held a respectable amount of time. BUT I WANT MORE! (That's all.) Thanks for the tip in floor bow. I'll try to think of it in class this morning.

    Tracik... lucky you! Almost done! It is a big accomplishment. And very smart to set some goals, because undoubtably things can change with a daily practice.

    Thanks for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete