Thursday, December 3, 2009

One Day after the Next

I just finished my 8th day of the 30 day challenge. I’m feeling pretty good. Tonight’s class was awesome. It kicked my asana, was challenging, but not to the point of sitting anything out. I always consider that a great class. A good challenging ass kicking in Bikram Yoga is why we all continue to show up every day, right?

Well yesterday was quite different. It was a serious ass whooping… slaying… pummeling… whatever the word is; it was TOUGH. I absolutely killed myself in all the postures up to Standing Bow, was feeling strong, then – THUD. My hands and forearms got tingly and fatigue just hit my whole body. The next few postures I joined in slowly and half-assed them as best as I could, then finally had to sit out the first set of Triangle. The teacher, Sunny, has a nice long one, so it was a good break. I got my butt up for the second set, and Sunny says to me, “You can do it, Danielle!” THAT statement took me through the rest of the class. Every time I wanted to stop and rest, my brain said, “you can do it, Danielle!”

I’ve said it before, but it is true – we are so much stronger than we think we are. Strength of mind, strength of body, strength of will. It’s not every day that we get to really push our strengths to heir limits, but when we do… it feels so good. And when we pass over that supposed limit that we think we are at, well now THAT is powerful. In this yoga class, we have all experienced the feeling of defeat. It bums us out a little, but we go back the next day with that knowledge that every day is different, and if yesterday was bad, today will probably rock. But there are those moments in those killer classes that something happens to help us push through. Sometimes it’s the teacher’s comment (whether directed at you or not), and sometimes it’s something inexplicable. Whatever that “something” is, every day is different than the last. All we can do is put one foot after the other, one posture at a time, one breath at a time, and carry ourselves through class with no expectations, open hearts, and English bull dog determination. ☺

(Side note: I’d like to give a great big THANK YOU to miss dancingj for her tip on floor bow. Still not loving the posture, but I think I’ve found it! It’s a kick UP like in standing bow… brilliant!! I can feel it in my glutes, which I’ve never felt before! Rock on! I hope to write more about this soon.)

3 comments:

  1. Oh man - I feel like "You can do it!" is one of the single most powerful things I've ever heard in class! Of course, the person saying it has to BELIEVE it. But when they do, then heck yeah, it carries you straight through. I remember Diane using that phrase a lot when I went to her seminar in San Diego, and I got it stuck in my head and just repeated it to myself for weeks afterward. I'd be driving home in my car, getting tired, and just saying it out loud: "YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!" Hee.

    (Side note: AWESOME! I'm psyched that my idea was helpful!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. danielle i love these last 2 posts...i have also tried to change my practice as well..thanks for the thought provoking words..denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancing J is the BEST with yoga tips!
    "It kick my asana". Funny! :)

    ReplyDelete