Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A change gonna do me good

I have an announcement that I can finally share with the world. (Err… well, at least my few readers!) I am quitting my job to become a full time yoga teacher! There! I said it!!! It’s out there. I’ve been thinking about it since the first day I taught my first class. I may have even been thinking about it since I took my first class, but who knows?

I’ve said since the very beginning that I was going to give my job a full year, to see if I could get back into the swing of things. That was always my intention. I don’t think I knew how much this teaching thing would take over my being. But it has. And so now, exactly 3 days from the anniversary of me leaving for Teacher Training in California, I can finally say with conviction that this is what I want to do.

I am ready for change. I’ve been working as a graphic designer in the crazy trade show industry for 10 years. And the last 5 years, I’ve been the director of graphic design for a company that has gone from 4 people to about 70 people in those 5 years. I’ve grown as a designer, I’ve grown as a manager, and I’ve grown as a woman. Lucky for me, it is the type of company that inspires personal growth. When I broached the subject of me leaving for 9 weeks to pursue the goal of becoming a certified Bikram yoga instructor, I was not met with “you want to do what??” I was met with, “Ok… let’s figure out how to make this work.” Not to say that I wouldn’t have done it anyways. Who really knows? But everything I’ve been able to do, I’ve been able to do with confidence because of the people who surround me every day with support.

This change is huge. Hey – might as well go big or go home, right? The high-stress, deadline-driven, madness that was my job will soon be replaced with teaching yoga, something I don’t even consider a “job”. My hours will be cut in half (as will my salary... yikes!). Right now, I am teaching 2 – 4 classes per week, working my full-time job, and practicing on a daily basis. As you can imagine – there’s not much extra time in my life for quality time with my husband, friends and family. So I’m really looking forward to having more time. Time for me. Time for Tim. Just time.

It’s funny how life flips upside-down on us sometimes. I was so career driven only 4 short years ago. So much so that my life was controlled by it. I wanted the big job, wanted the nice clothes, the “stuff” that was supposed to make me happy. I thrived on the fast-pace stress that consumed my days. And now, my priorities have done a 180. My happiness is most important. For me to say that I want to make us a nice home – you never would have heard that come out of my mouth, until now. This evolution of Self often surprises me. I think, “Who is this, and what have you done with Danielle?” But this is me. It’s who I have become. I’m ready to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n. Ready for a new pace. Ready to evolve as a teacher. Only teaching a few classes a week, I feel like I really haven’t been able to develop myself as a teacher. I’m ready to see what is in store for me.

This new life of mine is going to be different. Exactly one week after I graduated from college, I began working. The 8:00 – 5:00 job is all I know. I am now going to be teaching 2 – 3 classes a day, at 4 different studios around Massachusetts… all various times of the day! I’ll be somewhere different every day. I’ll be working with different students every day. I am ready to dive in. Head first. With no swimmies.

Damn. That feels good!

14 comments:

  1. congrats danielle, life the life you want, all the way baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops..... live the life you want!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that's amazing Danielle! I also work a full time job about 40 hrs a week and am teaching 2x a week and practicing closer to 4-5x a week. It's a lot. I am lucky that I can practice at home some days, though the studio is always more challenging. I'm totally inspired. There's not enough yoga work to go around up here in VT at the moment but I love the idea of transitioning out of work and into yoga full time. Let us know how it goes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. will you teach for Diane? Lucky.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave and Denise! It IS SOOO EXCITING!

    Yes, brother... I said swimmies. :)

    Anna - Where do you teach in VT? Once I get going on a regular basis, I am definitely going to call Diane. I won't teach for her regularly, but I know how valuable her feedback and mentorship is. So I will absolutely make a point of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle,
    I check all the time for your updates. I love reading your blog! I'm so excited for you. You're a great teacher and I've seen you gain confidence and ease up there since last year when you returned from training. I also laughed when you said "without swimmies"....Best wishes on your new journey! Enjoy every minute.
    Heather (BYA Yogi)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, heather!! :)) A year already, crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES!!!!!!!!!

    And I feel the same sometimes - "who the heck is this and what has she done with Juliana?!" Actually... I take that back. I feel like I am suddenly my REAL self, and it's very nice to meet her.

    Slightly delirious... hope this is coherent...

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so at first I thought you were going to announce that you were pregnant and I was so happy for you and then I read on...and...I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Good for you, Danielle! Hopefully, some day soon I'll be following right in your footsteps. Where will you be teaching mostly? Auburn and Westboro? I hope I can catch your class someday!

    All the best,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Yoga mama!!! So great to hear from you! I'll sort of be all around for the summer. Auburn, Westboro, Andover and Hudson! Andover Tuesdays 9 and noon.... maybe you can catch me there!!

    So excited for this new life!

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited for you and all your future students!
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I teach at geezum crow yoga in Montpelier VT

    ReplyDelete